PhD Aerospace Engineering, Texas A&M University
MS Mechanical Engineering, University of Kentucky
BS Mechanical Engineering (with honors), University of Kentucky
BS Physics (with honors), Morehead State University
Disciplinary Research Interests: Structural Dynamics, Aero-elastics, Dynamics & Control, Structural Health Monitoring & Prognostics Management, Design, Experimental and Analytical Methods, Reduced Order Modeling, Model Validation and Uncertainty Quantification
Application and Topical Interests: Renewable Energy Technology, Wind Energy Technology, Marine Hydrokinetic Technology, Concentrating Solar Power, Aerospace Structures
Five Most Recent Journal Publications, Book Chapters, and Books
- Richards, P.W., Griffith, D.T., and Hodges, D., “Aeroelastic Design of Large Wind Turbine Blades Considering Damage Tolerance,” Wind Energy, Wiley, Volume 20, Issue 1, January 2017, Pages 159–170, DOI: 10.1002/we.1997.
- Griffith, D.T., Paquette, J., Barone, M., Goupee, A., Fowler, M., Bull, D., Owens, B., “A Study of Rotor and Platform Design Trade-offs for Large-scale Floating Vertical Axis Wind Turbines,” Journal of Physics: Conference Series 753 (2016) 102003 doi:10.1088/1742-6596/753/10/102003.
- Richards, P., Griffith, D.T., and Hodges, D., “Smart Loads Management for Damaged Offshore Wind Turbines,” Wind Engineering, Vol. 39, No. 4, August 2015, pp 419-436, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1260/0309-524X.39.4.419.
- Myrent, N, Adams, D., Griffith, D.T., “Wind Turbine Blade Shear Web Disbond Detection Using Rotor Blade Operational Sensing and Data Analysis,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, January 2015.
- Griffith, D. T., Moya, A.C., Ho, C.K., and Hunter, P.S., “Structural Dynamics Testing and Analysis for Design Evaluation and Monitoring of Heliostats,” ASME Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, 137(2), Oct 23, 2014, doi: 10.1115/1.4028561.
Major Honors and Awards
- Best Paper Award, 2014 ASME OMAE Conference (33rd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore, and Arctic Engineering), Ocean Renewable Energy Symposium; for paper titled “Hydrodynamic Module Coupling in the Offshore Wind Energy Simulation (OWENS) Toolkit”.
- Guest Scholar, Erasmus Mundus, European Wind Energy Masters (EWEM) Program, Delft University of Technology (TU-Delft), June-July, 2014.
- Individual Performance Award (special recognition for organizing and chairing the 2014 Sandia Wind Turbine Blade Workshop), August 2014.
- Associate Fellow, AIAA (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics), January 2014.
- AIAA Distinguished Service Award, for “bringing Wind Energy to the AIAA SDM Conference,” 2013.
- Individual Performance Award (special recognition for excellence in mentorship of junior staff and interns), Sandia National Laboratories, 2010.
- Recognition by the Spacecraft Technology Center (a NASA Research Partnership Center), College Station, TX, for successful flight testing of the StarNav I payload hardware and software for the NASA STS-107 mission, 2003.
- Recognition by the Boeing/Spacehab team for real-time mission support at NASA Johnson Spaceflight Center during the NASA STS-107 mission, 2003.
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship, Department of Defense, 2001-2004.
- Texas Space Grant Graduate Fellowship, Texas Space Grant Consortium, 2001-2002.
- NASA Graduate Student Researchers Program (GSRP) Fellowship, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Proposal Title: “Investigating the Effect of Foam-Inflated Aerospace Structures on Attitude Control and Pointing,” 1998-2000.
972-883-4930 ECSW 3.150C